Inside the IPOD......

Lately I've noticed that my pile of projects has been growing. Not that I feel that is a bad thing except, it is. Looking on my bench today, I found 4 guitar pedals, a bass amp, and 1 IPOD. The IPOD has been here for over a year. I apologize to the owner, it's not that I kept ignoring it, although I didn't go after it full steam either. Since apple has come out with newer versions, parts for the old ones are already going obsolete. As a last resort, I got another broken IPOD off of ebay and used it for spare parts. So for those of you who have never seen the inside of an IPOD, feel free to take a peek here.
It's pretty cool how they fit all of that in there. This is the 4th Gen, 20GB version I believe. The problem this thing had was the click wheel did not work. After finally figuring our a way to open the thing, I found that there was some corosion on the ribbon cable from the click wheel to the mother board. I cleaned it with some flux remover and alcohol, put it back together and it worked for about a month or 2. Then the click wheel stopped completely. I took it back and ordered a new click wheel, but this time when I opened the IPOD up, I damaged the head phone jack ribbon cable. I replaced that only to find out that the head phone jack assembly was not working either. The IPOD was showing that the click wheel was locked all the time. After waiting for a few months for one of the IPOD parts stores to get new ones in, I finally took a chance and won a broken IPOD off of Ebay. I swapped out the head phone jack assembly, and now it works again. Lots of fun, but the case parts are getting hard to come by. The hard drive, LCD, battery, and motherboard are all easy to find. Well, I feel I have geeked up enough tonight. Now to tackle the bass amp and guitar pedals.................

6 Comments:
I'm sure the owner doesn't mind. I wouldn't even be surprised if he had a PSP and his girlfriends IPOD to satisfy his music needs. But what do I know...
Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:08:00 PM
I think I may know where the corrosion came from. I heard that the owner left the iPod in a busted up van with the windows down during a rain storm. But what do I know...
Way to go Keith! Woot Woot
Thursday, September 20, 2007 3:59:00 AM
Why would someone do that to a busted up Van?
Thursday, September 20, 2007 4:56:00 AM
I have also done many repairs on my 3G ipod (replaced the screen once, battery twice). With as many spare parts as their are floating around out there, I can't imagine why I would need to upgrade any time soon.
I will stick with my 3G ipod and green dot matrix screen over a dinkly little ipod touch with it's fancy colors and cool user interface any day! I also will keep telling myself this until I can afford the latter. :-)
Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:15:00 PM
Dang man! You're always up to something. This was originally posted a long time ago but better late then never:) Off the subject...I started playing basketball again and miss playin' on the same team as you...not against you:) It was good seeing you awhile back. Hope to stay in better touch now. Take care man.
Monday, November 26, 2007 6:24:00 PM
Great article! I've noticed in many instances, the problem actually derives from a faulty HDD cable. People wrongfully suspect that it's a bad hard drive and this simply isn't always the case. Thanks for posting this.
ipod repair
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:06:00 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home