www.keithandbetsyshack.com

Monday, August 13, 2007

Keith meets Frankenstein....er I mean Frankenstrat


You know those things you want to do, but don't think you'll ever get to do or be able to afford to do? Well, sometimes, you just have to have the balls to ask! I went to Sam Ash music with some friends today. Usually a trip like this to Sam Ash involves playing on guitars and amplifiers that I either want and can't afford, or don't want and still can't afford. Big guitar stores like Sam Ash or Guitar Center put the nicest equipment on the top rack so no one can grab it and play on it. I walked in the store and headed to the electric guitar section looking for the usual used Les Paul to play when I spotted on the top rack a guitar I had only seen on you tube. It was a hand made replica of Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstrat (check out the demo here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIr-WBZT1MI , and if you're interested in the making of the guitar and have 20 minutes, go here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ATjE2ogfA)! After looking around for something that would be just as fun to play, I came up short. Finally a guitar tech saw my drool about to touch his counter and he asked if I was having fun. I said yes and he replies with, "Well, then that's what matters. If you're not having fun, might as well go home." SO I asked, "Do you let people try out the Frankenstrat?" "Sure! You want to try it," he asked. DO I WANT TO TRY IT?!?! I said yes, but I would like to look at some acoustics first. So after playing a Taylor acoustic for 20 minutes, I couldn't resist and went back over and said, "OK I'm ready to try it." He climbs the stairs and pulls it down and hands it to me. I plugged it into a Marshall JVM that had a bad overdrive channel on it. I'm convinced this guitar would sound much better through my amp, but they didn't have a JCM800 or a plexi to plug into. Anyway, it was fun to play and I would like to build my own. Because lets face it, if I came home with a $25,000 guitar. I think Betsy would bury me....without the guitar....and sell it back on ebay. So for now, it was fun to play for a day. Check out a few more pics here http://betzrs.shutterfly.com/action/ .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home